Justin Hinds has been called the Godfather of Jamaican music and is considered one of the all-time greats. Justin’s songs as a ska artist for producer Duke Reid in the early ’60s with his vocal group, the Dominoes are credited with having a major influence on a young Bob Marley.
In 1997, Keith Richards on break from his mates in The Rolling Stones recorded with and produced Hinds and their group of Nyabinghi drummers. Keith was taken by Justin’s sweet soulful voice which is captured on Travel With Love when two ambitious producers from US based Nighthawk Records ventured to Jamaica and assembled an all-star cast of studio musicians including Marley’s rhythm section of Aston “Family Man” and his brother Carly Barrett along with founding member of The Skatalites, Tommy McCook. These recording sessions in 1984 produced this gem which was released in 1985. This classic rock steady masterpiece has stood the test of time.
Previously released by Nighthawk Records:
Justin Hinds record Travel With Love was first released on Nighthawk Records owned by Robert Schoenfeld. Leroy Jodie Pierson founded Boogie Disease Records to release a blues compilation called “Take a Little Walk With Me: The Blues in Chicago 1948 ‐ 1957”, which was released in 1976. Soon after, Leroy started Nighthawk Records, releasing regional blues compilations.
In 1979, Leroy sold his interests in Nighthawk to his blues loving friend and fellow record collector Robert. These two Americans then forged a path to Jamaica, immersed themselves in Jamaican culture, and went on to produce a small but impressive classic catalog of roots reggae albums including the various artists compilations; “Knotty Vision”, “Wiser Dread” and “Calling Rastafari” as well as individual works by the Itals, the Gladiators, Leonard Dillon aka Ethiopian, Junior Byles, Winston Jarrett, and of course this gem from Justin Hinds & the Dominoes.
Side 1Get Ready to Rock Steady 3:56Miss Wendell 3:46Book of History 4:11
Side 3Sweet Loraine 3:34Loraine’s Dub 3:29The Rainbow 3:57
Side 2Travel With Love 3:51Weeping Eyes 3:49In The Jungle 4:02
Side 4**Wolf and Sheep 3:51**Valley of Reality 3:55Meditation 3:47
**Previously unreleased bonus tracks
- Production: Robert Schoenfeld & Leroy Jodie Pierson
- Notes: Leroy Jodie Pierson & Paris Briscoe
- Graphics: Liz Shepard & Dane “Cho” Hanson
- Photographs: Robert Schoenfeld, Leroy Pierson, Roger Steffens & Beth Lesser
- Recording: Errol Brown, Triny & Chou at Tuff Gong Studio
- Mix: Mervin Williams, Justin Hinds & Leroy Pierson at Aquarius Studio
- Drums: Carlton “Carly” Barrett
- Bass: Aston “Family Man” Barrett
- Lead Guitar: Earl “Chinna” Smith
- Keyboards: Gladstone “Gladdy” Anderson, Earl “Wya” Lindo, Tyrone Downie
- Percussion: Noel “Scully” Simms, Christopher “Sky Juice” Blake
- Horns: Tommy McCook, Felix “Deadly” Headley Bennett, Bobby Ellis
- Melodica: Pablove Black